Friday, May 24, 2019

#Adulting


Quick poll for all you teenagers and young adults…Yes I am talking to you! Who knows their primary care provider’s (PCP) name? The name of the office that they work at? What about their phone number? Do you know what to do and who to call if you are sick?

If you weren’t able to answer some (or any) of these questions you are not alone. Nationally, only 15% of youth with and without special health care needs receive an ‘ideal’ transition from pediatric to adult care. While most of us would agree that we don’t suddenly wake up one morning and become adults, legally-speaking, we do.

As I think back to my own transition (many years ago), I recall reaching a point where I felt very out of place surrounded by the toddlers and toys in the waiting room. My transition was more of a drift away from pediatric care, with no real entrance into an adult PCP. I’m embarrassed to admit this, but it was many years before I became established with a PCP. And I’m not alone— local data shows that young adults (yes, you!) aren’t getting annual wellness visits, which are key to staying healthy now and preventing chronic diseases later.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have:
·         Taken this Readiness Assessment from Got Transition.
·         Been encouraged to advocate for myself and be independent at a younger age—like this kid.
·         Talked with my pediatrician about when I should be transitioning to an adult doctor, and known what to ask (and what my parents should have been asking).
·         Known the name of my PCP and their office as well as their phone number, hours, policies AND what to do when I was sick (who should I have called? When should I have gone to the ER? Urgent Care?).
·         Understood what turning 18 meant for my health (spoiler: major #adulting).
·         Learned about my insurance plan, co-pays, and how all of it works BEFORE I was on my own.
·         Understood how important annual wellness visits are, even if you’re healthy (and I would have never missed a visit).
·         Pulled all of my health information (conditions or diagnoses, medications, allergies, etc.) together in one spot with other important documents.

Hind sight is 20/20 right? But don’t worry, the Clinton County Health Department and the Adirondacks ACO are partnering with pediatric, family and adult medical providers to improve this transition period and empower you to take charge of your health! If you have already transitioned to adult care, congratulations! If not, it’s not too late to get started. Ask your pediatrician to help you find an adult doctor and what your next steps should be.

Welcome to adulthood! You will now be excited about a new vacuum…don’t say I didn’t warn you J

Jennifer Trudeau, RN
Principal Public Health Educator
Health Planning & Promotion
Clinton County Health Department

HABs – Say Algae You Later!

Being a Clinton County native, summer notifications of harmful algal blooms (HABs) at local beaches are nothing new. Certain places in our ...